In Social Presencing Theater, the word "theater" is used in connection to its root meaning – a place where something significant becomes visible, or where a community of people can see a shared experience.
4D mapping makes visible the current reality in a social system, such as a school system, health care system, or government. 4D Mapping is used with groups who are looking to gain new insights about their own system, and with clients who have a case they want to explore using this method.
- 4D mapping explores how the highest aspiration in a system might come forward. We assume there is an underlying wisdom – in spite of the diverse values or goals of stakeholders in a system – that could come to the surface and be visible as we move from Sculpture 1 to 2.
- Participants apply mindfulness of the body and awareness of the surrounding space. 4D mapping is not about acting out preconceived ideas or concepts we have about a system.
- 4D mapping is about surfacing and noticing what shifts in a system might be significant in going from a current reality to an emerging future reality.
- Movement is based on what is actually emerging, not based on manipulation or what we think something should be.
Want to learn more?
How to apply 4D System Mapping
4D system Mapping is a structured method developed by Arawana Hayashi and faculty of Social Presencing Theater that guides groups through an embodied practice of system sensing. 4D System Mapping is a tool that offers deep and transformational insights about the system by making more visible its current reality and emergent potential.
This course contains
- Introduction audio file (70 minutes)
- 4D Mapping audio file (45 minutes) with Arawana Hayashi and Julie Arts
- PDF with step by step instructions for download