Theory U | Awareness-Based Systems Change
The Awareness-Based Systems Change (ABSC) Practitioner Certification builds capacity to lead awareness-based systems change. Upon completion of the pathway, you will earn certification as an Awareness-Based Systems Change Practitioner, certified by the u-school for Transformation by Presencing Institute.
What is it?
The ABSC Practitioner Certification consists of a series of capacity-developing programs and an applied learning project in your own context. The intention of the certification pathway is to support you to develop an understanding of the core theory, methods and tools of systems change based on Theory U and how to apply these to transforming your team, organization, sector, or community.
This foundational certification is required for advanced certification programs.
What is Required?
- Four capacity-development programs
- One application project
See details below.
Your Certification Pathway
Commonly Asked Questions
- I don't see one button to purchase the entire Certification at once. How does it work?
Certifications are not purchased all at once. You can do the component programs and final action learning project at your own pace. Some programs are immediately available, others are released during the year. If you want to receive notifications about program openings, you can sign-up to our newsletter here.
- Do I need to follow the recommended order?
The pathway is flexible. The order you see on this page is a recommendation. You can pursue the suggested programs in this order or differently. When you have finished all relevant components, the certification will appear on your profile page.
- What is the completion time?
The certification pathways are built in a flexible way so you can shape the learning journey to suit your needs. Some programs are several months long and others that take a few days. The primary focus of the certification pathway is application and that takes time, so if you know from the start that you would like to pursue a certification pathway, it will need some forward planning. Once you begin your action learning project - the last stage in the certification process - you have a limit of 2 years to submit it.
- If I have participated in these programs in the past will that be taken into consideration?
Yes, all the programs you have completed will be displayed on your profile page. If any information is missing, you will be able to manually upload your program certificate of completion on your profile and it will be considered for the certification.
- Can I submit the Action Learning Project now?
The final Action Learning Project can only be submited after you have completed all the required programs. Also, currently the certification pathways are in soft launch mode and some of the functions are still in development. This functionality will be enabled in 2024. Please sign up for notifications here to receive the launch announcement.
- I have missed a program registration deadline. Is it possible to join the program that is in progress at the moment? When is a new program starting?
It is not possible to onboard new participants for an existing course, as each module of the course builds on the previous one. Our programs calendar can be followed here.
- I have missed a required program date. Does it mean I can only take the program again next year?
Our offerings calendar varies depending on the program. We always try to be inclusive and run offerings in different formats and locations so everyone has an opportunity to attend. Here’s an overview of our program schedule for your reference. Depending on circumstances the schedule might be subject to change:
- u-lab 1x – online with live sessions from MIT, USA. This is a free program with option of paid certificate. Annually in Sep-Oct.
- u-lab 2x – online with live sessions on Zoom. This is a free program for teams with option of paid certificate. Annually in Feb-Apr.
- PFP – in person in Berlin, Europe. Annually in June.
- ELP (equivalent to PFP) – in person in Latin America and soon in Africa and Asia. The Latin America program runs Annually in March.
- SPT Basics – in person and online offerings around the year and in several locations around the world.
- Scribing Essentials – online with live sessions on Zoom. Offered annually in March-April and in October.
- Digital Leadership (the version online with live sessions is the only version considered for the pathways) hasn’t a scheduled date for the current year.
- How can I be notified when new programs are available?
You can sign up for our newsletter as we always announce new open programs there.